15-16 November 2017
Rotorua, NEW ZEALAND
21-22 November 2017
15-16 November 2017, Rotorua, NEW ZEALAND
21-22 November 2017, Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
ForestTECH is New Zealand and Australia’s leading forest management technology series, providing companies with the latest technologies, innovations and practical tools to increase forest operations productivity.
ForestTECH is this region’s premier technology series. It’s run for Australasia’s forest resource managers, planners and inventory foresters and run by the Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA).
Since 2007, it’s the one event every year that continues to draw in foresters to one location in both countries. Key researchers, technology providers and forest owners are also now picking up the opportunity of building in their own client meetings, workshops and discussion groups around both the New Zealand and Australian events to capitalize on this “once a year” turnout.
What Happened Last Year?
Over 250 delegates attended the ForestTECH series in November 2016. Last year’s event highlighted new data collection technologies and advances on accessing, processing and better interpreting the associated big data streams being collected.
Rapid improvements in smartphones and tablets, the development of user friendly forestry apps and increasing connectivity had changed just how forestry companies were using this data to improve their operations – everything from the measurement of wood volumes out in the field through to the scheduling and logistics around wood flows.
What’s Planned for 2017?
The technology has moved on considerably in just 12 months. The quality and quantity of data being collected through an array of new sensors and platforms has continued to sky-rocket. The task now being grappled with is how best to use the collected data and convert it into something usable for all stakeholders.
New tools and technologies have been developed, in-forest trials by leading technology providers along with forestry companies have been completed and are being built into day-to-day forest planning and operations. Numerous research projects have also been completed and are ready to be presented to local companies.
ForestTECH 2017 will provide local forestry companies with a timely and independent overview of new data collection tools, systems for better measuring, managing and analysing this information and forestry apps that have been developed, are available, and can add value, both operationally and financially, to local forestry companies.
The focus for this year’s series will be on “unlocking the true value of data” for forest operations. Key themes for this year’s event will include:
- Storage, processing and management of “big data”
- Analysing and using harvester data for inventory management
- The practical application of automation, robotics and sensors by forest managers
- Integrating virtual and augmented reality into forestry operations
- Results and lessons from reconciling remote sensing data in the field
- New innovations in mobile forest apps and collection tools
- Mobile communications advances in more remote locations
- Workflow solutions for data collected from airborne and UAV systems
- New mapping and GIS applications
- Changing skill sets required by today’s forest resource managers.
Who Will Attend?
Forestry managers | Forest owners | Technical foresters | Forestry consultants | Forestry researchers
Forest resource planners | Inventory foresters | Technology & equipment suppliers
We have worked closely with a wide range of New Zealand and international companies, service suppliers, researchers and government bodies to develop a strong and innovative programme. An updated event programme can be viewed below. A printable PDF is also available.
|Session 1: The Age of Disruptive Innovation. Just how’s it changing the way we do and will be doing business?|
|TECH Showcase: Short presentations on new product innovations|
|Session 2: How can Forest Managers Best Harness Improvements in Mobile Connectivity and Satellite Imagery?|
|Session 3: Effective Storage, Processing and Management of "Big Data" being Collected through Remote Sensing|
|Industry Dinner + After-Dinner Presentation|
|Session 4: Optimising Remotely Acquired Data for Plantation Inventories. Results & preliminary findings from recent R&D
|TECH Showcase - Short presentations on new product innovations|
|Session 5: Practical Collection and Integration of Field Data into Resource and Forest Management Decisions|
Additional workshops are available on Forestry Orientated LiDAR Analysis and Visualization.
In conjunction with the ForestTECH 2017 series this year, Interpine will be running their own introductory workshop the day after each event – Friday 17 November, Rotorua and in Melbourne, Thursday 23 November. It will teach delegates how to manipulate, process and visualize LiDAR datasets, with a specific focus on forestry derived outputs. These include terrain and vegetation surfaces and vegetation related metrics.
In New Zealand, the course includes hands-on labs and presentations and will be held at the computer facility at Toi Ohomai in Rotorua. In Australia, participants will bring along their own computers. The workshop will be run at the ForestTECH 2017 conference venue in Melbourne. Presenters: Dr. Martin Isenburg and the Interpine Team (David Herries, Susana Gonzalez and Sarah Pitcher-Campbell). Click here for further details.
ForestTECH offers a tremendous opportunity for companies involved in developing innovative tools, technologies and resources for forestry planning and management to maximise their exposure to New Zealand and Australia’s forestry companies.
Exhibition spaces are always at a premium. FIEA has a well-deserved reputation of providing both sponsors and exhibitors with a unique platform for promoting their products and services to the industry in BOTH New Zealand and Australia.
For a full range of sponsorship options and benefits for ForestTECH 2017, or upcoming FIEA technology programmes planned, please include your details in the form on the right.
Gordon Thomson, Sponsorship Manager, (+64) 7 921 1384 or (+64) 27 275 8022, firstname.lastname@example.org
Request further infomation
Standard From 30 Sept 2017
$960+ GSTSingle Rate
Dinner is $80 + GST
Group Same Company
$760+ GST Each3 or more delegates
Dinner is $80 + GST
Supporters With Discount Code
$840+ GSTSingle Rate
Dinner is $80 + GST
- The conference above rates are per person and do not include registration for the conference dinner.
- All prices exclude 10% GST for the Australian event and 15% GST for New Zealand event.
- A credit card fee of 2.2% applies to credit card transactions for the Australian event and 2.5% for the New Zealand event.
- Attendance to the conference dinner is optional and will be charged at the rate above if selected. The conference dinner is on the evening of Day One of both events.
- Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA) member discounts of 10-25% apply on ALL listed Conference Rates. FIEA Membership Details and Benefits can be seen on www.fiea.org.nz. Membership status and discounts available can be checked by calling our FIEA offices.
- Supporting Associations (Supporters) are listed via this link.
- To be eligible for the Early Bird rate, registrations and payment must be received on or BEFORE the due date listed above. All discounts require payment at time of registration and before the cut-off date in order to receive any discount.
- Any discounts offered (including group discounts) require payment at the time of registration.
- Your conference registration payment covers the morning and afternoon teas, lunches, refreshments, a conference handbook and access to presentations (electronic download for those presentations where presenter approval has been given).
- Cancellation policy: For cancellations before Friday 29 September 2017 a 10% administration fee applies. Cancellations received after this date are non-refundable but are transferrable. Please allow 30 days for refunds to be processed. If you wish to transfer your registration to another individual from within your company, please provide us with at least 24 hours advance notice.
- The organisers reserve the right to change the programme when required.
- Click here for our full terms and conditions.
Since 1998 the Forest Industry Engineering Association (FIEA), a division of Innovatek Ltd, has run an extensive series of technology related events for Australasian forest products companies. Over 500 conferences, trade shows and exhibitions have been run for local companies.
FIEA’s objective is to improve the performance and productive capability of forestry and wood products companies in the region. It is now recognized as one of the most effective information providers for the Australasian forestry & wood products industries.
FIEA Contact Details
(+64) 7 921 1382
1800 126 398 (from Australia)
Forest Industry Engineering Association
Building X91, Sala Street,
Rotorua 3010, New Zealand
PO Box 1230,
Rotorua 3040, New Zealand
Ph (+64) 7 921 1382
Forest Industry Engineering Association
c/o Distinction Dunedin Hotel,
6 Liverpool Street,
Dunedin 9016, New Zealand
PO Box 904,
Dunedin 9054, New Zealand
Ph (+64) 3 470 1902
Forest Industry Engineering Association: A division of Innovatek Ltd